Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

The Shire's Maintenance Crew To-Do list

- Fix horrendous VS border things north of the ice region
- Level horrendous mountain things west of the ice region and make them inhabitable
- Fix northern water level 

After a full year of obsessively building and completing two cities and winning a BC, I'm retiring.... from building lol. Say hello to your new Shire Maintenance Crew! All one of us. xD
I've already completed three projects I've been dying to fix! Chef helped me level those three completely useless and offensively large voxel mountains to the north... and also that creepy border thing that was north of the ice region formerly known as Modaora. This has effectively created two GIGANTIC areas that are ready for settlement. The water level to the north has been fixed so no more deadly waves up there to threaten sea-level towns!

Here's what I need from you, Shirelings! Please comment here or let me know in game if you see something that needs fixed. Whether it be bad terraforming, broken water levels, old builds of yours that you want gone etc. 
In your request, please include the following:
- coords to the place
- reason it needs to be fixed
- if it is a build to be removed that isn't yours, permission from the builder or staff

Along with all this, I will still be helping out with stuff as usual - just don't ask me to build shit because I'm retired from building.... well, I'm building a racetrack with Jimmy. BUT NO SERIOUSLY!! I'm DONE building after that! Oh and also the Laurelian rail line... BUT I'M COMPLETELY DONE AFTER THAT, FOR REAL! Oh but then the BC spawns every couple of months or so.... BUT REALLY, SERIOUSLY, NOT EVEN JOKING, TOTALLY DONE AFTER THAT!

LET'S BEAUTIFY THE SHIRE TOGETHER!!!

okthxbye

Comments

• This is great! I have a laundry-list of maintenance items myself that I haven't had time to get to.  I'll just dump them on your plate :)
    HayJimmyBrockSammson
  • John117
    John117 Member, Engineer, Wiki Editor
    Maybe a big one can be fixing the 1 difference in water level in the northern half of the shire
  • Morris_h
    Morris_h Member, Wiki Editor
    /warp university - buildings lack interior, promisted completion date was 2017 2018
  • You're coming back to building though right? :)
    Lord_Drekar
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    railway tunnels pls
  • @enderkilla mayyyyybe lol

@andy pls.
  • Also! Confirmed with @Andy that the universal water level on the Shire will be the same water level that is at spawn which is Y:63. 

Now. As there is a new water level with map expansions - being 62, I propose handling the difference with //fixwater where able and then isolating the 63 water level from the new 62 level when there are map expansions.... so we don't have to keep fixing it.

Can do this by creating little land masses that separate the two levels, then having designated waterways for ships to have access to new areas of the map.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share them. That's all i could come up with, though lol
    Lord_Drekar
  • John117
    I'm at least glad that I don't have to change the water level on everything I built now

• [quote="Hay;4834"]
    I propose handling the difference with //fixwater where able and then isolating the 63 water level from the new 62 level when there are map expansions.... so we don't have to keep fixing it.
    [/quote]

I've probably spent a week of my life fixing the water levels...  Be careful not to flood peoples cities when you fix areas, its happened to me a few times.
  • John117
    I don't like being the bearer of bad news, especially with the amount of work put into this, but the water level at 63 is not a good idea. Here is a large album showing flooding and near flooding of builds, including (but not limited to) flooded land, submerged ice, builds which were one level above water now being at water level, builds that will be flooded at the new 63 water level that are going to be in the affected area, and more. This is a link confirming that, while the water level was 63 before 1.8, the water level is now set to a default of 62. Since a very large portion of the map was rendered after 1.8, due to the world limit being extended, the majority of the water levels were at 62 before the effort to make them 63, and thus a lot of builds were made with this in mind. At this point I'm not sure if anything can be done since such a huge amount has been changed to 63, but I think that you guys should give this a lot more thought before implementing it further.
    Lord_Drekar
  • @john117 STOP GLOBAL WARMING!!!!
  • Hay
    Hay Lord
    edited January 2016

[quote="john117;4861"]I don't like being the bearer of bad news.... etc[/quote]

You forgot the part of your post where you come up with a working solution, like I asked in my earlier post about the water.

We all know about the flooding problems. Thank you for the shocking discovery.

Now what's the solution you propose? Or would you rather keep stating the obvious with these lovely albums?

Also, i DID say "//fixwater where able" meaning, (and i wish i didn't have to clarify on this) I'll only fixwater where it won't damage anything. The "flooded" areas around the ice region are inconsequential. Nobody is building there and thanks to the amazing advent of VS, new land can be created without issue. 
    I also mentioned an idea about isolating the 62 from the 63 and then asked for any other ideas.

Your post contains no ideas. Please try again. Pls.
    Lord_Drekar
  • I'd also like to step in here and say that some of those flooded areas were not done by Hay (I can see a few that I did when I tried to fix it a long time ago, terrain areas with no builds in them) and some of them are actually pictures of stuff that's intended to be at that water level.

Also, having pictures of very elevated bridges saying "railways supports now under threat" is, quite frankly, irrelevant. Entirely so. Nothing about that railway bridge is "threatened" in the slightest. 

While some of what you said is valid, most of it is unhelpful. You haven't offered a viable solution, and I don't see you helping to fix the water level in the first place - it's not an easy job. It takes time. Just because some areas are currently flooded it doesn't mean they will remain so.

The server water level has remained the same since the server was started. It has been kept across the board even after other updates affected the water.

Patience is the key to this. The builds effected will be sorted out. If someone's work in progress has been effected, they can come forward and we can find a solution. Until then, I suggest just going with the process and having a little bit of patience.
    Hay
  • John117
    Sorry if it seemed harsh but I was just trying to add some humor into the situation since there isn't really much that can be done in terms of a quick fix, and it would just make a depressing post. And I think that is the point I was trying to get across: There isn't an easy way to fix this. The thing is that builds done by spawn were done with the 63 water level and the things done farther away are not, and there isn't any simple way to figure out what level to put with which build. 

Honestly, I don't have a good idea on how to do this because each idea needs a crapload of time to implement (going through the entire area and adjusting the water according to the build, for example), and the best idea is pretty much already put forth by Hay. 

I just wanted to get you guys to realize that this needs to be taken slowly and carefully to avoid affecting some of the older builds that don't have people active to represent them.

Sorry if it seemed like I didn't appreciate your efforts, that couldn't be further from the truth.
    Hay
  • Here is an imgur album of some ideas of where natural and man-made dams could be placed to contain 63-water levels.  The blue are proposed dam locations.  The red are other items or features that should be looked at to see what they are and see if they need to be fixed or moved or deleted.  http://imgur.com/a/voRd7
    Hay
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    venice is safe :)
    Hay
  • Hay
    Hay Lord
    edited January 2016
    [quote="Konegido;4868"]Hi Hay?

Is this a new department just like SEAC, STA and SEC etc.? If yes, you should add to to the wiki!

:D
    [/quote]

Nah, just like real maintenance technicians at like high schools, the Shire maintenance crew will only get small mentions here and there and be featured in the back of the yearbook after the Rubics Cube club. xD
    CoffeeAndChill