Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Shire History Library

Options
Jimmy
Jimmy Arbiter
edited February 2014 in General Chat
So, as some of you may or may not have noticed, I am working on a project close to spawn. I want it to be a library to hold a lot of information about the shire, kinda like a in game wiki, but you know.. better..

Some ideas I have for it (may or may not be possible, we will see):

-Books with information about specific areas/parts of the shire. For example, you press a button, commad block runs a command, and you get a book about the History of Bree. In that book, there could be lots of info, and maybe even give some hints about how to find the secrets in Bree. (there are many things, very strange things, in Bree.

-Another Idea, I saw this at someones place, cant remember who though, is to have maps of popular areas. We can now make large multi tile maps, and I think it would be really cool to have some hanging around the library. It would be REALLY cool if we could have a whole map of the server, but ill need to look into good ways of making large maps like that. 

Here are some screenshots (currently 1, lol) that I have of the place, I will be trying to take more and more pictures of my builds, so I can post them on sites easier.
http://imgur.com/a/DH8zd#0

Anyway, anyone else have ideas of what we could put in here? I will need people to help write the history books, (hoping nebbers takes on this task, he loves his shire history ;) )

Also, sorry for any typos, its 1am and I am sleepy, I will look this over more tomorrow and make it look all nice and correct.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Post edited by Jimmy on

Comments

• Mieshoa
    Mieshoa Member, Wiki Editor, Retired Staff
    Options
    This is definitely a good idea and I would definitely come visit! The only small problem are the books. One would take a long time to write and could be a tedious process. Apart from that staff could definitely duplicate them in order to hand out copies! Good idea :)
  • nebbers
    Options
    Yes I do love our Shire history!  I'll be happy to contribute!
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    Options
    If you write the books on the forums, I can easily make them into books that are generated on button presses

Don't type them in-game, it's lots of unnecessary work :)

Great job, Jimmy - keep at it! 
  • Jimmy
    Jimmy Arbiter
    Options
    Andrew, are you still able to do this? do you do it via command blocks?
  • Mmeesayshi
    Options
    You can duplicate books by clicking on them with the middle mouse button in the Creative inventory.
  • Jimmy
    Jimmy Arbiter
    Options
    im not worreid about that, i can get a full stack of them with a command. but we dont want people stealing them!

• CoffeeAndChill
    Options
    There's loads of info. on Mainland, courtesy of nebbers:
    http://www.shirecraft.us/wiki/home/our-builds/cities-and-towns/mainland/

Also, Belthil Tower
    http://www.shirecraft.us/wiki/home/our-builds/large-structures/belthil-tower/

What you're doing is great, I'll help you out more towards the end of June :)
  • Vetous
    Vetous Member, Wiki Editor
    Options
    I've been transcribing some books I wrote on some builds I found, which can be shared with whoever ends up getting access to the command blocks for the text. I'm also thinking about making a google form to post here on the forums, so users can submit their builds for archival. It would be easier than what I currently have in place. 
  • CoffeeAndChill
    Options
    I'll sort out the command blocks

When you've got some content, either post it in this discussion... create a new discussion... or PM me on here

Thank you :D