Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

ideas for the shirecraftz when we migrate to the new server

Jimmy
Jimmy Arbiter
edited October 2014 in General Chat
So as we all know the shire has been around for awhile. And not much has changed over that time. I made a list of things I think we should change to in order to improved user experience. Let me know if you agree with any of it!

I edit it whenever an idea pops into my cranium so check it often!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DsQB3fFtekz3LRtMm7tpVykynnIDPnFAvKA_XqN1ELQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

Comments

• Tyro plot world - genius.
  • Heck, if its a separate world... it could be open to Gaijin too, especially since its grief-free because of the plots.  That would lessen application frustration. 
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    we also need to decide what the hell is happening re: the demise of Bukkit
  • That would be nice. They could build now- apply later.
    And Andy, I'm always looking for new info on that.. They don't post much. Last I knew dinnerbone was going to update bukkit himself
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    edited October 2014
    jgliniecki:
    [code]Last I knew dinnerbone was going to update bukkit himself[/code]
    before the DMCA sh!tstorm :)
  • My idea: 

When the trail system becomes at least 90% done, make it so that only yeoman and above can use /warp and /tp.  #buildtherail
  • I like that idea. it'd encourage more use of the rails. since it'd practically become necessity xD

• The rail thing seems a bit extreme. Gaijins and Tyros wouldn't really be able to tour around the server with that implemented, which is really important. If we're going to rstrict travel to rails at all, here's what we should do: 

1. Have a working, walkable, portal-powered warp tour.
    2. Disable warps (but not tp) for tyro/gaijin, with the exception of Tyros having access to /warp tyro (alternatively, just implement the tyro plot world, and still have it warpable.
    3. Make rails more obvious for first-time joiners. As much as I hate to change the spawn we've preserved so well, it may be time for a redesign
  • Hopefully neb is able to get everything migrated today and we can start getting stuff done!
  • Also, at the bottom of the google docs page, I am making a page for server listings. If there is any information you think I need to add, let me know! I'm trying to keep it pretty quick and simple, giving them base info. If they are interested they can go to the website/wiki to learn more.
  • If the Tyros start building in a plot world, what are we going to do about resources? Will they still use /warp quarry, /warp wellness center, etc. And what about trees? If they're building in the plot world, we should at least have several forested plots. I don't know if this is possible, but we should make it so people can break blocks on that plot, but cannot build, since I find the amount of people who build in the quarry even though it explicitly states that you should not build in the quarry unbelievable.
  • I was thinking they should be in creative. We would get a better representation of what people could build that way. The only issue is it would be awkward if they start in creative, then once yeoman go back to survival
  • I would say use the free signs for the tyro plot world, as opposed to creative. It'll prevent the feeling that they are having creative taken away from them, if they never have it in the first place.
  • Yeah, I had that same idea. Then they would just have to find the free signs in the main world once they are yeoman.
  • Woah, i've been out of town for a while. What's this about a new server?
  • Well, I just got a VM set up today.  I have Windows Server 8 on it.  And thats about as far as I've gotten.  But we'll have basically a free server with 8gb RAM (more if I want, im sure), and whatever space I want.

I haven't had time to set it up yet 
  • We decided to switch to a MLP friendship is magic mod pack instead of vanilla minecraft. Hope you like being a pony Lob!