Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
Applications in this section are archived, and will not appear in forum searches.
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Membership - TekSohpos

Options
Hello,

I want to join The Shire because I think it is the type of server and community for which I've been looking.

I've been playing since 2010 and the first server I spent a lot of time on was amazing. It had hard working players putting lots of thought and planning into their builds and a community excited about creating and all the possibilities in minecraft. But, like most small communities it eventually died out and I've been searching for that feeling ever since. I've played a number of other servers, large ones with tons of ranks, perks, and "woohoo I'm 10 and paid $50 for diamond VIP++" type players. I've tried the challenges of anarchy, extreme terrain, flatcore, and many other types of servers. I want to join this server because it seems to be similar to my first server, just it kept growing instead of dying out.

On ever server I've built and learned something new from others. Early on I tried most of the basic things new players experiment with; houses, underground vaults, sea floor bases, towers, churches, farms, hot air balloons, geometric shapes, and so on. My IRL work is technical so I've gone down the rabbit hole of large redstone circuits, finding timing issues, complicated logic, max efficiency farms, redundant fail proof circuits and so on, but now I prefer a simpler approach and focus on the structures. I've done a lot of work with water, working out complicated build orders
to create items that at first glance appear impossible, such as a water
globe contained by only a loose spiral (this work was after alpha sponges had disappeared and before the new ones). Eventually I learned the value of terrain (oddly enough while playing flatcore). Now I really strive for terrain integration and the beauty of organic shapes, whether it's a few blocks or the plan of a city to fit an area as it exists instead of terraforming a giant square, though my skill in this area is far behind my imagination.

After a few years I wanted to build big but got bored with replicating geometric structures many times over to give impressive size, and lack the skills to hand build large structures by eye, so I've done a lot of work with offline tools to plan large structures then build them in game. At first I just found 3d models on the internet that I would convert to schematics, choose materials, clean up and light in creative, and then build (such as a three-headed Cerberus statue in netherbrick near the spawn of an old anarchy server.) But now I create everything from scratch, for example I  a couple of years ago I built some large sentry type statues with swords (tip in the ground, two hands on hilt): I first created a rigged model using MakeHuman, used other software to create the pose I wanted, converted to schematic and did extensive work to get the body shape and facial features looking better in block form using creative and mcedit, built the swords by eye, found a good low pixel font for the block letter writing on the blades, ran a mcedit filter I wrote to hollow out the models and reduce the blocks required, then built it in survival (48k blocks after hollowing). Many of those steps were repeated dozens of times to get them right. I also use Mathematica code to generate some shapes that are used in the real world but rare in Minecraft, such as 3 or 5 sided symmetries. I like the Shire server aesthetic of buildings and towns, not too modern, but not strict medieval realism with boring one and two story house towns that only have one large building.

So what would I like to do on The Shire? Honestly, I'm not really sure. Maybe start by helping out with small projects on one of the in progress builds, maybe go off by myself and do something small if I get a new idea I want to play with. Basically start small and see what happens. Eventually maybe design statues, monuments, and other structures to fit into towns if the project's lead requests something semi-specific.

I've already made this application way to long, so I'll wrap this up. I'm 30, live in the U.S., and found the server through a random reddit comment. Most of my time, other than Minecraft, is spent doing Physics, teaching Math, or with my family.

Comments

• Hay
    Options
    Welcome, TekSohpos! Thank you for that very thoughtful application; it has been accepted. It's so great to learn about our members' Minecraft background and what the game means to them. What's great about the Shire and what I think you'll be able to appreciate is how diverse the community is in both personality and building style. We have a little bit of everything and a lot of what you mentioned in your application. We're excited to have you join us and share in the wonderful community and building fun on the Shire! 

You can now build in /warp tyrule where you'll find everything you need to show us your style and skill level and hopefully join us in the main world.

A few tyrule tips:
    - All your materials will be under the Tyrule spawn. Just right click the "free" signs
    - All tools and enchantments can be found in one of the spawn corners. Signs will lead you there. Just right click the signs for the tools and then with the tool equipped, right click the enchantment signs
    - You can be assigned a plot by doing /plotme auto and then /plot home to get to it
    - Your tyrule build does not have to be huge or elaborate. Just something that gives us an idea of your style and skill level 

Please feel free to ask us any questions either here or in game. We're happy to help. And if you need assistance from a staff member, we're the folks with either blue or gold titles. 

Promoted to Tyrule! =)
  • nebbers
    Options
    What a fantastic post.  I'm glad to see someone who "gets" what the Shire is all about right off the bat.  Just pause for a moment the next time you sign on to appreciate the absence of automated chat messages asking you to donate or up vote the server on some website.

Excited to see you around!  And nice to see another person in my age bracket too.  See?  We're run by grown-ass adults.
  • Millred
    Options
    You Ser, are now on my chatlist.

Just a friendly warning, for whenever I spot you online and start chatting at you about all those builds I keep imagining, but almost never build.

Hope to see you online soon!

Many hugs,
    Milly
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    Options
    [quote="nebbers;4506"]Just pause for a moment the next time you sign on to appreciate the absence of automated chat messages asking you to donate or up vote the server on some website.[/quote] Mmmm, no horrible spam!
  • Jimmy
    Options
    Someone email this guy because he hasnt been back since..