Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Death of shire players

Options
Jimmy
Jimmy Arbiter
edited February 2014 in General Chat
Hey guys,
Just read an arrival about what happens to your Facebook/twitter/other digital forms of you when you die, and I thought it was very interesting.

Do any of you ever wonder if someone has stopped playing because they actually passed away?

Comments

• Lobstrex
    Lobstrex Member
    edited February 2014
    Options
    That's an extremely depressing thought. But, given the amount of unique players (well over 10,000 by now), I think it's pretty safe to say that at least one of them has passed away.
  • nebbers
    Options
    amps9
  • Lord_Drekar
    Options
    such a grim subject.. 
  • Jimmy
    Options
    Yeah, it was strange reading about it. Always thought it was interesting to see what happens to peoples facebooks and stuff when they pass away
  • 0031benjy
    0031benjy Confirm Email, Retired Staff
    Options
    Grim topic indeed. Different social networks handle this in different ways, most usual seen is a family member's ability to request your page be turned into a memorial, Facebook & Myspace handle this differently.
    Myspace acts on a case to case basis and will decide on what action to take regarding the account.
    Facebook, however, have some policies and procedures in place. If someone can prove their a direct relative to the deceased, they can make a request for your account to be closed permanently, or for it to be turned into a memorial, to do either of these they must submit an online report containing information about the death, this report will contain space to upload evidence to prove the deceased is indeed dead, such as newspaper reports/obituarys. If the account hasn't had any recent activity and the report matches up, Facebook can now take action.
    If the deceased's account becomes a memorial only friends will have access to it, the login information is disabled, all sensitive account information is deleted, all the status updates are deleted. It becomes a place where all your family and friends can leave messages of condolence and whatnot.

Source (and you can read up a little more on it): http://computer.howstuffworks.com/social-networking-death.htm 
  • Imaginejoe
    Options
    Wait a minute, did amps9 really die? I think I remember him from awhile go.

.......So sad if he did die.
  • Mieshoa
    Mieshoa Member, Wiki Editor, Retired Staff
    Options
    This is such a morbid conversation and I to wouldn't be surprised if one out of the 10,000 people who have attended the server once has passed away. If anyone did that extremely sad. If anyone did the most likely cause would be an illness.
  • Jimmy
    Options
    Amps was banned lol
  • nebbers
    Options
    I'm sure Amps is just fine :)  
  • Imaginejoe
    Options
    lol, I feel like a fool.
  • nebbers
    Options
    Maybe we should have an Amnesty Week and just unban everyone ever and see what happens... lol
  • Lord_Drekar
    Options
    lol, let's not xD last thing we need is an apocalypse of banned folk 
  • 0031benjy
    Options
    Hmm, or an annual hunger games, anyone who dies is banned for 3 months...
    Or not, I'd rather not be banned 
  • nebbers
    Options
    Maybe we should stop banning people, but instead mark them as Condemned.. you can't TP to them, but if you find them and kill them, then they're banned.  And maybe they should be muted too so they can't taunt us while they're condemned.

I have no idea how something like that would work, but it just popped in my head. 
  • Mieshoa
    Mieshoa Member, Wiki Editor, Retired Staff
    Options
    We should put every 'condemned' person into a hunger games match and told them that whoever won was allowed to stay, little did s/he know that they were going to get banned anyway
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    Options
    None of us are that sadistic
  • 0031benjy
    Options
    Or are we? Huehuehue.
  • mtbrgeek
    mtbrgeek Member, Retired Staff
    Options
    nebs that is awesome

• Sammiches822
    Options
    I'm dead.
  • Lord_Drekar
    Options
    Alas, poor Sammiches, we knew thee well.. yet your delicious namesake probably led to your demise...
  • Lobstrex
    Options
    RIP in peace my hero : (
  • EandJ
    Options
    R.I.Pieces of del;icousness