Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Requests for future train lines

Mieshoa
Mieshoa Member, Wiki Editor, Retired Staff
edited January 2014 in General Chat
I'm a very picky person I'd would like to point out before I start this rant about what should be added and improved on the train system. And please keep in mind these are just suggestions and do not have to be implemented into the train system at all if you feel it is not needed. I would also like to remind you that I am not attempting to insult the service and calling crappy! In fact it runs very good! These are just tips on how you could make it even better! Thanks for reading and please tell me your thoughts! 1) Names for the lines: Now I said none of these are compulsory before but holy crap this is needed. At most of the stations there are signs to platforms such as 'Platform 3B' and then the destination to which it leads to. Now when I wanted to use a specific line at Central station it took me about 10 minutes to find the right platform and the way to the destination I wanted to travel to. By making names this would make it is easier to plan journeys on the dynamic map as I did that day. Red line or green line or even supercallifragilisticexpialadocious line would be fine. 2) Expanding the lines further out: I know that you are working hard to expand the railway, but please expand it so not all of the lines are based around the central part of shire and more 'rural' areas. Rural areas are generally less overcrowded with buildings unlike the central area, allowing people to find easy places to start a town, army, rebellion etc. 3) Automatic train system: An automatic train system basically means having trains come round every minute without players having to 'summon' them. I would only recommend doing this on a line that is circular so they go round infinitely, and you do not have to go through the process to spawning and destroying minecarts. 4) Multiple destinations on a line: Multiple destinations basically means having a line spout out in two directions to different destinations. By doing this it cuts down the hassle of you guys having to install more lines. This is a much more complicated thing to install though. 5) Service updates on the website: I know it isn't a common thing, but having service updates on the website will make it easier for you to fix malfunctions by advising not to use the line until it is fixed. Without it, it is possible that people will continue using the line, thus causing CHAOS.  6) Individual maps for each line: At the moment, there is only one map for the whole system. Having a individual maps will help us plan our journeys on the line. This map must show us each station, if its under maintenance, and the interchanges. These should be posted on the website. A good example of this are the london underground ones. Look up 'Central line London underground map' to see it! Thanks for reading are these good ideas? Please let me know!
EDIT: Alternitively for 5, someone could just create a duscussion called 'Service Updates' and just edit it whenever there are delays. 
Post edited by Mieshoa on

Comments

• mtbrgeek
    mtbrgeek Member, Retired Staff
    o.0
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    I agree with number 1, I'm open to suggestions

Already doing #2

Number 3 has been tested and found to be unreliable - could possibly try it again soon

Number 4 wouldn't be practical with our setup, and would be unreliable (as discussed)

5 could be implemented

6: there is a map already for mainland subway, I'll add more soon. I'll make a wiki section for trains 

Thank you for your feedback :) 
  • A detailed subway map would actually look pretty cool - I can see something like:

And i think names would be helpful for sure
  • Mieshoa
    Yeah, this is the whole London one heh...
  • CoffeeAndChill
    How about this?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/8oYY3Dx.png[/img] 
  • setho123
    setho123 Member
    edited January 2014
    I think on the map, something needs to be marked that Spawn to Central Station is one-way.

Edit: The Zelos line hs the wrong termini on the key 
    Post edited by setho123 on
  • 0031benjy
    0031benjy Confirm Email, Retired Staff
    I think with Jimmy's new station being built at spawn it won't be one way for much longer.
  • I'd be willing to pitch in on a new line going to /warp stormends and build stations along the way if  you  guys ever want to branch out that way. I'm aware it's quite far from the spawn.
  • That'd be a very long, boring train ride. Like, over 5km long.
  • It'd be neat to add future railroad expensions on the map with future railroad stations as well.
  • Nice map Andy :)
  • Mieshoa
    Andy the map is really good :D Just hope I remember the names (I've got a bad memory)
  • CoffeeAndChill
    edited January 2014
    So all the lines have names now - I've updated central station to reflect these names, I've added the names to the new Whail station. (Whail -> Kraghal track is now complete, except for most of the stations along it)
  • Would it be worth colouring the stations accordingly? EG: All stations on the Hestia line have some blue above the track or whatever, so it's clear as to where you are.
  • Mieshoa
    Lobstrex I also agree with that! On the trains I travel on, if the line is red for example, red is just splashed everywhere! I think that is also a good point. Earlier toady I helped with Andy's station and put in a bit of pink on (the line is pink)
  • Mieshoa
    I just changed it quickly:

EDIT: Alternitively for 5, someone could just create a duscussion called 'Service Updates' and just edit it whenever there are delays.