Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
Applications in this section are archived, and will not appear in forum searches.
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Membership - ChubbyPitbull

Options
ChubbyPitbull
ChubbyPitbull Member
edited October 2015 in Archived Applications
Hello!

I've been playing Minecraft off and and on for a few years now, almost exclusively survival. I've really never been a very elaborate builder, for the most part I tend towards very minimal or compact designs. While I've largely moved beyond basic dirt cubes, even my more "elaborate" buildings don't have any more space than they need, and are typically based on just larger scale, basic geometric shapes that are just big enough for whatever function I need. I've long been a huge fan of the various technological mods like BigReactors, GalactiCraft, Thermal Foundation, Applied Energistics, ReactorCraft, etc, so most of the time my buildings are more or less warehouses to house the wiring and machinery.

Awhile ago (probably months), I started a new server for some friends with a new modpack with things like Thaumcraft and Ars Magica 2, and I decided this time I was going to try to build a town with a different building for each mod. My mining guild was a basic affair made of logs and wood plank stairs, and my AE 2 office building stood out more thanks to the Chisel 2 mod adding new glass textures more so than innovative architectural ideas. I wanted to do something special for my Thaumcraft Alchemists guild, and it was about that time that an imgur album of the University of Clementine made it to the front page of Reddit. I was blown away by the University buildings and it looked like the perfect architectural theme for what I wanted for my guild hall. That was when I first connected to the Shire and first discovered all the other builds the Shire contained beyond the University of Clementine. There were a lot of people online during this time, some longtime builders and some also joining because of the Reddit post, and all were very friendly and encouraging that people should join and learn to build, but the various structures were very intimidating. I ended up just screenshotting some buildings I liked and used them to build my guild hall before taking another hiatus from Minecraft.

One of the guys at work who used to play on our server mentioned he had a friend who wanted to try out Minecraft, but wanted to show him Vanilla before dropping our heavily modded server on his heads, so tonight while I was finishing the setup for that, I saw I still had the Shire in my bookmarks list and hopped on. I was still in the University of Clementine  and found that a lot of new things had been added nearby, like roads and buildings under construction. Jimmy/Jommers was on at the time and showed me around the bakery/hotel he was building, and happily answered a lot of newb questions about how he built it, what his plans were, etc.

He suggested I join and also try out some builds, but I initially balked not only because I don't have any experience, but because I usually can only make time a few hours a week to play, and didn't want to leave little half finished projects laying around as eyesores. I ended up heading to Tyrule before looking around and claiming a plot, but it seems I can't actually get materials from the materials room as Gaijin, so decided to apply! I don't really have any plans for something for the main world yet, but trying out new things at my pace over time in a Tyrule plot I thought might be acceptable. I know people all have their own projects going on but I thought building there on the shire keeps me out of the way of the experienced builders and people working on group efforts, but at the same time I could ask for help or feedback if needed. I was thinking a neat idea to try would be sort of am art-piece-as-a-building, and wanted to try to make an arm reaching out of the ground, with a sphere suspended over the open hand. Inside the arm would be stairs up from the ground, to a house inside the sphere.

Thanks for reading all that text!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention, I'm 29 and in the US.

Comments

• Hay
    Hay Lord
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Welcome, ChubbyPitbull! Your application has been accepted. It's great you decided to come back by and join us! I think you'll have a great time building with us. It won't be a problem at all that you've got limited time to play. Everyone builds at their own pace so it'll be understandable to have a project under construction for a while. As long as you're enjoying yourself with the community and building, that's all that matters. lol  

You can now build in /warp tyrule where you'll find everything you need to show us your style and skill level and hopefully join us in the main world.

A few tyrule tips:
    - All your materials will be under the Tyrule spawn. Just right click the "free" signs
    - All tools and enchantments can be found in one of the spawn corners. Signs will lead you there. Just right click the signs for the tools and then with the tool equipped, right click the enchantment signs
    - You can be assigned a plot by doing /plotme auto and then /plot home to get to it
    - Your tyrule build does not have to be huge or elaborate. Just something that gives us an idea of your style and skill level 

Please feel free to ask us any questions either here or in game. We're happy to help. And if you need assistance from a staff member, we're the folks with either blue or gold titles. 

Unfortunately, the authentication servers are down at the moment, so I can't log on to promote you to tyrule, but a staff member will be able to do that for you very soon! 
  • ChubbyPitbull
    Options
    Thank you!
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    Options
    Welcome to The Shire!
This discussion has been closed.