Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

With literally only ONE MINUTE to spare......

Seven months ago, I made a bold declaration that the great city of Laurelian would be finished by the end of the day on December 19th - my one-year Shire birthday. The city's construction was an adventure in Minecrafting, pushing the boundaries of imagination and time management. It was also a lesson in the dangers of gambling but also how Shirelings can rally to help a friend in need.

The whole story of Laurelian's construction will go in a wiki article, but for now, I want to tell the story of tonight. I had all but given up on winning my bet with @lord_drekar because I miscalculated my Shire birthday. I was a day off. The bet was lost the moment I saw the notification that I'd had my Shire birthday on the 18th and not the 19th. 
Shit.
But in an act of generosity and great friendship, Drek gave me the 24 hours I thought I'd lost - putting me back in the running to win. The day passed quickly as IRL stuff took over and made it impossible for me to log on and work. Had Drek's generosity been practiced in vain?? Was I going to lose anyway??
The hours sped by until it was 10:42pm. An hour and 18 minutes. I had an hour and 18 minutes to make miracles happen! Part of that was bothering the shit out of Jimmy on FB to get back on the server,  pouncing on Chef for help the moment he logged on, and singing praise to the almighty "server" who, at first, teased with a countdown and then revealed himself to be Nebs when he logged on to help as well.

A ton of people helped to complete Laurelian and all those wonderful Shireling friends will be mentioned in the wiki. On this glorious night, however, there were a handful of heroes who made building magic in an hour and 18 minutes. Jimmy did last minute terraforming while I finished my last mansion and Chef and Nebs threw together the distribution center for the Galleria. GJ cheered us on in a sideways kind of trolly way and Mag even joined in to help with logistics and support. Arcy was the ever-present cheerleader providing positive vibes. It was a frenzy of  WE, VS and flowersen amazing friends coming together to help me win this god forsaken bet. 

And it worked! The first block was placed on May 21st and the last was placed on December 19th at 11:59 PM. Seven months of building obsessively, balancing Arbiter tasks with Laurelian tasks and doing all of that while being a part of the BEST community in Minecraft - and it all came down to one last spruce fence being placed at 11:59pm.

my god, I love yall!!! 

Liandria21K1LL0ByTEBrockSammsonLord_DrekarArcticstar

Comments

•      This may have been the sweetest thing I've read in a long time. This seems like a good server -- no, this seems to be a good community to be with.
    HayCoffeeAndChillLord_Drekar
  • Liandria21
    Liandria21 Member, Wiki Editor
    *GIGANTIC SUPER CONGRATULATORY GLOMP* x3333 Good job, Hay!!
    Hay
  • curse my generosity. cuuuuuuuurses. but well done :) 
    K1LL0ByTEHay
  • John117
    John117 Member, Engineer, Wiki Editor
    I can't wait to see what heinous title Drek has now
    HayLord_Drekar
  • not got one yet, Hay needs to come up with one lol
    CoffeeAndChillHay
  • where the hell is my credit for
    Hay
  • John117
    John117 Member, Engineer, Wiki Editor
    your credit was mugged in fulfwotz by some unruly characters
    HayLord_Drekar
  • [quote="Sammiches822;4725"]where the hell is my credit for[/quote]

Oh i'm sorry. And Sam for making part of an outline of what seemed to be the beginnings of a mansion. xD
    CoffeeAndChillLord_Drekar
  • Vetous
    Vetous Member, Wiki Editor
    Oh I just noticed this. 

Hay, congrats. Seriously, Laurelian is a real achievement. In my three years here I've never seen someone so obsessively driven to build something. I remember when you first joined and were working on that outline of that huge, self contained city, I thought to myself you would never finish it, it was too big for a yeoman. How wrong I was lol. 

Anyways, good job. I need to get on more. 
    Hay
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    edited December 2015
    @Hay the railway has got as far as Aberdeen... it'll get to you eventually!
    Hay