Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Building competition suggestions

Options
Mieshoa
Mieshoa Member, Wiki Editor, Retired Staff
edited January 2014 in General Chat
Hi, it's me Mieshoa! (Mario shoutout) anyways, today I would like to start a discussion about building competitions. Building competitions are really fun but some restricted/inexistent features may make it unfair for some players (or maybe it's just me, I don't know). I also love building competition as it also shows how well we can build and how much potential we could possibly have building in the future! Anyway I will talk about features that may revolutionise future and present building competitions and may make it fairer for some players. Keep in mine these are some suggestions and not mandatory!

Speeches
What the hell is speeches you may ask? Speeches are the opportunities for players to talk about the special features in their build making them unique to all the others. It's sought of like in elections, when presidents/pms talk about why they should be elected. As far as I'm aware, voting is a poll on the forums accompanied by a picture which the contestants have made. But there's a problem, when there is only a picture people judge. By judging I mean they look at the pictures, compare them and choose which one is the best rather than checking out the actual build. By giving the opportunity for other players to highlight what features they have in their building would be fair. It's not just exterior! However, there would be a few guidelines to the speeches:
1) No more than 300 words - A, no one is gonna read a massive waffling speech about their build... Neither are they gonna read the whole of this... Maybe...
B, it would give another player a large advantage if their's was more informative.
2) No comparing to others - By this I mean yes you can say mine is unique to all the others as blah blah blah, but you can't say stuff that is picking out individual or collective builds and saying negative things about them e.g. HAVE YOU SEEN NEBBERS WALL DESIGNS?!?! TALK ABOUT UGLY

Also I think they should be able to include their own screenshots but no more than 5.
Tell me what you think of this below!

Comments

• Lord_Drekar
    Options
    it's an interesting idea. Though the difficulty would be getting people to read them xD If there were tons of people entering the competition not everyone will have time to read a bunch of mini essays. Still it's a good thought :)
  • nebbers
    Options
    I like it - maybe there should be more emphasis on in-game judging, so everything can be seen, instead of people just judging based on what they see on the forum.  (they're 'supposed' to be looking at it in-game, but im sure a lot dont).
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Mieshoa
    Yes, a poll is provided on the forums. This poll is accompanied by the commands to warp to the competition entry in-game.

The images are there to confirm that you've arrived at the right build when you run the command. Voting should not be based on these images, and voters are encouraged to visit the entries for themselves.

I do agree with your idea of 'personal statements' about entries, but I'd limit these to between 100 and 150 words.

Anyone who wishes to add a personal statement to their entry may send me a private message.
    Having lots of these statements wouldn't really be an issue - as we only choose between three and five entries for voting. 
  • Mieshoa
    Mieshoa Member, Wiki Editor, Retired Staff
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive feedback :)
  • EandJ
    Options
    If you want to provide more in depth info to people, a help desk with a chest of books might work. Each book could be just a copy of a info paphlet, or differant ones could highlight differant aspects of your build. it also Gives you chance to expand the build's story.