Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
πŸ“š Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. πŸ•°

HTC Vive question for Nebber or other Lords

Options
Reading Google news this morning and found a great article about your server in the recommended for me section....followed and found the server.

AMAZING server!

I've been away from Minecraft for a while and one of the things that brought me back was the arrival of my HTC Vive. I found and pursued a way to play Minecraft in Virtual Reality. Like many others, I was absolutely blown away after being able to experience such an open world, game from my past in VR. Unfortunately, one of the limitations is that I'm only able to play version 1.7.10 in VR. Your server is currently running 1.9.4, so unfortunately I'm not able to walk around The Shire in virtual reality :(

You have one of the most truly amazing Minecraft servers out there. I believe that if you could run even a smaller portion/demo of your main area for people to experience in VR, it could prove to be one of the most amazing marriages between VR and Minecraft.

I've scoured the web and found mentions from admins considering sharing versions of offline maps for people to experience....Nebber, if you're reading this, reach out. I have a handful of servers at my disposal (dual Xeon X5650s, 96 gb ECC RAM) that I'd be willing to use to host a watered down VR demo build (or full blown world) for people to experience....wouldn't take much (I have previous experience hosting Minecraft servers), just hand me a world file, or if you'd prefer I can give you root access and you can set up and maintain a 1.7.10 server if you'd prefer. I just think it would be awesome if people could experience The Shire in full VR and would love to help make that possible if you don't currently have the resources....I think someone mentioned earlier in the server that it was currently running on 16gb of RAM.

My idea wouldn't be to run a server for people to build/invest heavily into necessarily but to offer them a truly immersive Minecraft experience that is compatible with VR to at least stand in, look around and explore a bit.

Thanks,
James
This discussion has been closed.