Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Idea for creative mode for Maven (and potentially Yeomen)

Morris_h
Morris_h Member, Wiki Editor
edited June 2016 in General Chat
This post addresses the usage of creative mode with the Maven rank, the rank directly above Yeoman. Mavens are promoted through the construction of one or more larger scaled and detailed builds; whether or not they qualify for a promotion is upon the discretion of the judging admins. In addition to the perks they have as a Yeoman, Mavens are allowed to bind /repl to a tool to change the block and access /jumpto with a compass.

My idea for Mavens is to add an additional perk towards the rank to allow them to access a region-limited creative mode slightly earlier down the ranking curve (as shown: here) by using WorldGuard flags. For those uninitiated, WorldGuard is a plugin that allows Architects and above to use WorldEdit to outline and define a set region border, whose attributes can then be edited.

Most prominent and active members of the Shire own regions made by WorldGuard to either better organize and control their region, or to protect them from potential griefers. In any case, a WorldGuard protected region is a sign of a decently well developed town or a big build. Oranjestad, the University, Atheos, Fulfwotz, and Venice, are all (slightly extreme, as they are all very large projects) examples of WorldGuard protected towns. The only prerequisite for staff to create a region is a sign of a developing, high quality, large scale project or village, whether the project qualifies, again, depends upon the judging admins.

As WorldGuard regions allow the region owners to change certain tags (“flags”) attributed to the region only, I propose that Mavens who own or co-own a WorldGuard protected region (as their own project), to have the ability to change their region game mode into creative mode (done by the command (/rg flag [region name] game-mode creative), thereby allowing anyone who builds within the region to do it with creative mode.

This in my opinion, allows for a few advantages:

- Encourages Yeomen, later Mavens, to create their own larger scaled projects and towns, simultaneously expanding upon our current map.
- Expedites the process of building in villages and other projects, as well as improving the quality due to easier access of material. In my opinion warping to get materials is just unnecessary grinding to achieve the same end, which is to build well.
- Reduces the possibility of discouraging potential members to stay due to the effort required to obtain creative mode.
- Discourages random projects scattering all over the server and encourages the completion of one before moving to another due to the lack of creative mode in unprotected and incomplete regions.

Allowing creative mode in this regions, however, gives the ability for certain members to potentially cause a larger amount of damage than survival mode. This however, should not be much of a concern, as exiting the region would revert the players’ game modes, containing the ability to perform such damage. Moreover, WorldGuard protected regions would only be created for the owner and the trusted members of the regions themselves, it would seem unlikely that the owners and the members of the region would cause irreversible damage to their own projects. In the event of an unlikely grief, however, there are always ways to revert the damage done. This concern should not be more than the security concerns we have with currently protected regions.

Another raised concern is the ability for members of creative regions working elsewhere to enter said region, obtain items from the creative inventory, and then leave the region to their own projects, thereby potentially exploiting the system. It should be noted, that doing so is not too different from the Galleria system we currently have in place, where Yeomen and above have access to and frequently rely on. In addition, the exploitation of this system is more work than simply going to the Galleria to collect items, due to inventories changing upon changing game modes.

In the end, there should be a new system in place with the way we consider WorldGuard region creation for potential Mavens. Those who own an emerging town or large scale project should be eligible for the creation of such regions. Good examples of emerging towns worthy of creative regions would be /warp forestmeadows, /warp lost, and /warp stormends. A general rule of thumb, I believe, should be that if the project is worthy of a /warp destination, it should be eligible for a creative WorldGuard region. Those who aspire to protect their side projects are allowed to have WorldGuard protect their projects, though the creative mode tag would not be added.

As well, any member of a creative region would be allowed to build in creative mode, allowing Yeomen and Mavens who do not own their own regions to be able to build in preexisting regions started by other Mavens in creative mode, allowing them to practice and further develop the project alongside the owners, encouraging project completion and collaboration.

Jimmy has proposed the idea of a large tract of land (developed with roads) in the main road to be open to all Yeomen and above to be set as creative regions to practice upon. As well, I think older members who have old, stagnant towns (that they have abandoned), could decide whether or not to open their regions to Yeomen as creative regions, thereby allowing them to practice different styles that adhere to different styles.

Thank you for reading and please leave any feedback and criticism below.

TL;DR
People who own regions from WorldGuard (particularly yeomen and maven) should be able to set their own regions as creative mode, allowing them to build with creative mode within that region. I have addressed potential concerns and limitations above.
Post edited by Morris_h on

Comments

• Sounds Great! All be it though I'm only A Tyrule / Yeoman.
  • Morris_h
    edited June 2016
    Also, I've gotten some concerns about this reducing the need for Duke and undermining the usefulness of Artisan. It should be noted that the affected members cannot utilize creative mode anywhere else apart from the predefined regions. For Mavens, it would be regions that they have already owned, which are limited due to the amount of time one can have, and for Yeomen, it would be for regions that they are either building for or are participating as a part of, which benefits the owners. If yeomen were to want to build in creative anywhere, they would either have to wait until they have the rank of Artisan or start a larger scale project themselves, starting from survival mode via the galleria until they have a promising project. As far as obtaining creative mode as Duke, it should be noted that Duke is a rank given for donors, and the purpose of which retain only to that of signifying donations, lowering the barrier for creative mode does not undermine the utility of any Duke ranks or above.  As well, Dukes have the ability to use creative mode anywhere, unlike Yeomen. 
    EnderKilla
  • mariowhiskers
    mariowhiskers Member
    edited June 2016
    I second this. It feels weird building in survival.
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    I've looked at this before. I think the game mode flag doesn't work in our current setup. I'll wait for more opinions to be posted here :)
  • Tentra
    Tentra Member
    I honestly don't know. Now before I begin I want to say I donated because i enjoy the server, not for the creative ability. But, the rank would be useless without this, nobody really needs creative mode in the wilderness. Only place it's useful is in a building environment. If someone without Duke and is Yeomen/Maven they can just create another world guard and therefore eliminate the point of getting the Duke rank. While I don't know if the idea should be completely scrapped. Some parts do need to be adjusted at the very least...
  • Morris_h
    Few things, Mavens and co cannot just willy nilly create a worldguard region, they'd have to have a good project first that warrants a protected region which will then also allow them to build in creative in that region (a region that can only be set up by architect+. And to start off on their own project, they'd have to build in survival in the middle of nowhere first before it is noted to be worthy of a protected region (see examples above) . 

@andy, i'm not sure how it doesn't work, please do explain?
  • Hay
    Hay Lord
    edited June 2016
    I could see how Mavens getting creative could be a good thing. I don't see it working well for Yeomen to have it, though. 

For those Yeomen who are just building their skill level and developing their style, building in survival is a good way to temper a desire to simply build and build just for the sake of ranking. It enforces the "quality over quantity" ideal we like to uphold on the Shire.
    If a yeoman is already a great builder and has the talent and skill level to be a higher rank, the need for promotion will show quickly in their work. I'd like to direct your attention to /warp boneyeard as an example. Master_Chief built boneyeard completely by hand, one block at a time and only had WE help for creating the large terrain which set the tableau for the whole build. He gladly went back and forth to /warp mall for materials - /warp galleria hadn't even been made yet when he was a yeoman.
    There is also the massive bridge and statues that was created by Unfitfuzzball - in the northern area of the map. It is an incredible build which, again, was done in survival and using materials from /warp galleria.
    So, as far as Yeomen are concerned, I believe they should stay in survivial mode. Those who are truly interested in being a part of the Shire community and not just ranking as fast as possible will not have a problem with getting unlimited materials from /warp galleria. 
    We have to keep in mind that these new members came to the Shire asking to become a part of the community we've had for almost 6 years. This includes our rules, ranking system and community culture. We never promised anyone that it would be easy or even convenient to rank. But I do feel like we've made it as close to creative mode as possible by supplying all materials in unlimited supply.
    Frankly, if a new yeoman has that much of an issue with not being able to build in creative mode for a while, then they're not a good fit for the Shire anyway. lol
    CoffeeAndChillArcticstarEnderKillaMieshoa
  • Honestly I'm a yeoman and I don't know, if there's anything we really need we can ask for say a spawn egg or skeleton skull! And breaking blocks is very hard without creative do to lag but we shall see what the new server update brings! Hopefully this shan't be an issue however I can see the advantages nonethe less I do see advantages to creative such as not dying/infinite food, and knowing all the special things you would have acces to in the creative menu as sometimes it's helpful to look at your "arsenal" of blocks and entity's!
    EnderKilla
  • Oops said I see the advantages twice wow :-: