Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Belthil Signs Pact with Oranjestad; Pressure Mounts on Budapest

nebbers
nebbers Lord
edited July 2016 in Shire Global News
SHIRE GLOBAL NEWS
----------------

ORANJESTAD, ORANJE COUNTY: Senior officials from Belthil and Oranjestad met in the Cluggish Rose Garden today in Olde Orangetown to sign a declaration of Free Association between the two city-states. Belthil, once an isolated community and a proud monument of Shire engineering, has long felt overshadowed by her cousin city to the east. Officials hope this declaration will bring about new opportunity for residents of both communities.

"We share a common ancestry with Oranjestad, having been settled by the same peoples," said David Cox, Belthil's Minister of Commerce. "Joining the larger Oranjestad community just makes sense - we see a bright future for our two communities". 

Belthil joins a long list of communities with ties to Oranjestad, making it the eighth community to do so in the past two years - although Belthil is unique as the first community to not join as a protectorate or a dependency. Unlike the other communities, such as Shai-Ling or Pennsy & Monon, Belthil is legally able to disassociate with Oranjestad at any time following a 2/3rds majority referendum. The addition of Belthil may strengthen similar initiatives in nearby communities, including Petra, Nivosus, and Transfagarasan.

The Free Association agreement is not without controversy, however. Critics believe it opens the door to a full annexation of Belthil by Oranjestad. The agreement also fuels the widespread belief that Oranjestad is slowly consolidating an Empire in a move to dominate the Oldeshire communities. "We're being forced to sign - there's no doubt in my mind," Belthil resident Wendy Williams stated. "Oranjestad is giving us the ol' purple nurple until we squeal".

The addition of Belthil puts mounting pressure on Budapest - the small community in the heart of Oranje County - to side with Oranjestad.  Budapest has long been in political limbo. Officially, Budapest is part of the Venezia Nuova Empire, but it is surrounded on all sides by Oranjestad, and many of Budapest's public services, including waste management, are handled by Oranje County.

"It is definitely a sore spot between the two nations," said Danny Frito, Political Analyst for the News-Gazette Times Herald Argus. "I expect to see Oranjestad make some major plays to spur development in Budapest and finish building the forgotten community in an attempt to lure it to Oranjestad. 

----------------
Jerry Donnelly, Oranjestad: "HNNNNGGG YESSSS!  FEED THE ORANJESTAD BEAST - SPREAD LIKE A CANCER!

Suzie Impala, Mainland: "Belthil has more in common with Lamename and the Mainland's temple district than it does Oranjestad. This won't last".

30 Helens, The Shire: "30 Helens agree that Budapest needs to stop being such a wahzy-fizzle".

Gerry Arnaud, Belthil: "What's next? Will Oranjestad try to annex the Mainland?! HA! But honestly, as long as I can watch my favorite shows every night, I couldn't care less what happens."

HayArcticstarLiandria21John117JennerLord_DrekarSammiches822

Comments

• John117
    John117 Member, Engineer, Wiki Editor
    It's always nice to see officials from such a large city as Oranjestad reach out and connect with those smaller communities in the area!
  • Hay
    Hay Lord
    I hear this would be the last day to make a move on Budapest while the leaders of New Venezia are away on business.
    Lord_Drekar
  • it would be a shame if someone were to support a bid for independence for them :P
  • [quote="Lord_Drekar;6704"]it would be a shame if someone were to support a bid for independence for them :P[/quote] I'd invade
    Lord_Drekar
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    Hey I found a cafe in the middle of nowhere with wifi and what is this?
  • just gonna quietly go about my business in the north and not support any independence. *governs quietly*