Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

The 10 Principles of Burning Man (and how they might apply to our world)

nebbers
nebbers Lord
edited November 2016 in General Chat
As many of you are aware, I had the unique opportunity to attend Burning Man this past September. The experience certainly left an impression on me, and as I've reflected upon it in the months since, I've noticed some interesting parallels between our little digital playground here and that great big social experiment in the Nevada desert. I'm interested in your own thoughts on our culture and if you can see the similarities as well. 

One of the founding members of Burning Man, Larry Harvey, identified 10 principles that he thought made Burning Man what it is. These aren't a set of rules to follow, but rather a reflection of the community's ethos and culture as it had organically developed since the event's inception.

Principle #1: Radical Inclusion. This is allowing anyone and everyone into the community - no prerequisites to participate. A true "judgement free zone". I'd say the Shire allows just about anyone a chance to join and be involved.

Principle #2: Gifting. One of the most amazing things while at Burning Man is there is no money exchanged in this city of 80,000 people (with exception to the ticket to enter and the coffee shop at Center Camp). Random people just give you things- food, trinkets, or their time, with absolutely zero expectations of anything in return. I think the Staff here on the Shire can identify with this principle - we're giving items, advice, building landscapes, and spending our time with other members, knowing we won't get anything in return (except for a well-earned Thanks, we hope!)

Principle #3: Decommodification. "In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience." In other words there are no corporate sponsors, no advertisements, no company camps promoting their products. I can't say this necessarily applies to the Shire, especially since there's a Costa Copy on every street corner. But I will say that unlike many other servers, we don't actively solicit for donations, we don't sell features or staff positions (I know Duke is in a weird gray area, but I'd argue its more of a 'thanks' than anything... no one NEEDS Duke in a world of unlimited free items). And furthermore we aren't harassing our members to 'rate and review us' on Planet Minecraft like every other server.

Principle #4: Radical Self-Reliance. This is especially important for living in a desert for a week. Burning Man encourages everyone to bring everything they need to survive and rely on his or her inner resources. I can't say this necessarily applies to us, though I certainly wish some members were more self-reliant when reading the rules.

Principle #5: Radical Self-Expression. "Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient." If you've seen pictures from Burning Man, you've seen the crazy outfits and amazing art pieces. Obviously the Shire has a certain degree of 'real-world' feel (cities/towns/villages instead of pixel art), but I think builders are free to build how they want otherwise. I'd like to see more self-expression!

Principle #6: Communal Effort. Creative Cooperations & Collaboration. Burning Man achieves this with public art and social spaces to encourage public participation. I think the Shire has always had a difficult time with collaborations.. most people are solo. But I will say that our core members, though they may not build together, certainly participate in other ways - both on the server and through other spaces (FB, Skype, meet ups).

Principle #7: Leaving No Trace. This means that whatever you bring into Black Rock Desert, you need to take out with you. Within a week or two after Burning Man, the desert would look as though nothing ever happened there. Pretty amazing. I'd say the Shire is 100% the opposite - I hope everyone who builds here will leave their mark with us. 

Principle #8: Civic Responsibility. "We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws." For us I think this translates to 'build 100 blocks away from other projects, don't be an asshat, and ask questions'.

Principle #9: Participation. "Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart." One of my favorite principles from Burning Man. The community cannot work if everyone is just a spectator. Don't be a spectator - do something, make something, change something. Coupled with Principle #8, I think this means making a difference in a positive way.

Principle #10: Immediacy. "Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience." At Burning Man, you find yourself letting go of inhibitions and willing to try things you ordinarily would never attempt. The attitudes of the real world of keeping to yourself, biting your tongue, or making excuses wash away and you act on your impulses. I have no idea how this translates to the Shire, but I hope everyone feels free and open to participate in whatever they want.

Anyway, I thought these were interesting - I think subconsciously the Shire has naturally evolved many of these principles on its own, but I'd like to hear what you think about them too.

Post edited by nebbers on
HayEnderKillaMillredLiandria21BrockSammson

Comments

• nebbers
    nebbers Lord
    edited November 2016
    Changed :)
  • [quote=nebbers] Principle #5: Radical Self-Expression. [/quote] 

absolutely
  • I really wish I had something to add to this but I pretty much agree with all your Shire parallels to Burning Man's principles.

I think the one I appreciate the most is Radical Inclusion. We have so many people from so many different walks of life and even a pretty wide age range. It makes me happy that everyone can come to the Shire and not worry about being judged for who they are or what they believe in.
    Lord_Drekar
  • I agree with Hay - I think the thing that is probably the most unique for us and what helps us stand out is the radical inclusion aspect. I really like seeing newcomers coming in and getting treated equally the same as anyone else, especially when it comes to building advice, questions, and whatnot.

Gotta say, the staff here is the reason it's so successful. I've never seen a staff member get angry in the time that I've been here, it's usually courtesy and respect all the way around.

Keep doing what you're doing guys - The Shire may not be as well known as other servers, but it's certainly much better than them.
    Hay
  • [quote="Humzahh;7701"]
    Gotta say, the staff here is the reason it's so successful. I've never seen a staff member get angry in the time that I've been here, it's usually courtesy and respect all the way around.
    [/quote]

You obv havnt been to our drunken office parties
    HayLord_Drekar