Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Caffan Secession Crisis: Referendum Rescheduled, Emperor Orders Immediate Arrest of Sciarra

Sammiches822
Sammiches822 Arbiter
edited December 2017 in Shire Global News
CAFFA- The New Sammichian Empire has been sent reeling after Caffa's provincial Chancellery passed a bill last Sunday which would allow it to seek independence. Following intense backlash from the NSE, Caffa has moved the referendum date to the weekend of December 16th. The Emperor has also demanded the immediate arrest of Caffan Chancellor Leopardo Sciarra, upon charges of treason.

While the act has been met with fury from the Empire, international responses to the crisis have been mixed. States such as the Republic of Orange and Purple and the Venezian protectorate of Riverwood have agreed to fully support Caffa's bid for independence, while the Solurian Empire and Laurelian have expressed their neutrality and desire to see a peaceful resolution. Oranjestad has promised to assist the NSE in the extradition of any would-be political refugees that may flee the country as the conflict escalates.

The province was visited by Minister of State Dago Vueres this past week, in order to enter talks with Caffan lawmakers, as well as the Emperor himself. Vueres reported back to Fulfwotz on the 5th, while the Emperor only yesterday traveled home to Castle Mugg. After a meeting with High Chancellor Ritz-Khalifa this morning, the Emperor used his powers to order the arrest of Chancellor Leopardo Sciarra under charges of treason, as well as conspiring against the state. The Emperor's press secretary, the Lady Vidaria vos Nervae II, released a statement defending the Emperor's actions this afternoon.

"...The arrest of Leopardo Sciarra is as necessary as it is constitutionally-proper. It is true that he may not have instigated the referendum, yet he stood idly by and refused requests from both the Emperor and High Chancellor to put down the bill. In doing so, he has effectively committed treason against the New Sammichian Empire, as well as conspiracy against the state in openly supporting an unconstitutional attempt at secession. The decision to apprehend Sciarra was mutually-agreed upon by both His Imperial Majesty Emperor Sammich and Madame High Chancellor Ritz-Khalifa. Granted, this is not their attempt at a permanent solution; it simply serves to bring justice to those who betray the New Sammichian Empire."

The wanted Chancellor allegedly fled Caffa last night prior to the Emperor's order, suggesting that Sciarra was aware of the consequences of his actions, or that he had been outright threatened by the Emperor during his visit. His whereabouts are unknown, but it is rumored that he may be seeking political asylum in Laurelian, a seemingly-top destination for disgraced politicians and enemies of the New Sammichian Empire. Nylo Meres, the former assistant to Kiera C. Krugerrand and the source of the leak which resulted in the resignation and arrest of the High Chancellor last spring, still maintains asylum within the nation.

Caffa In Crisis SGN's Diana Newell Reports From The Streets Of Caffa

Here in Caffa, the tension is palpable. From the Via Laguna to the Colossus di Caffa, the air is still; does it mark a de-escalation of this crisis, or rather, the calm before the storm? Answers vary here on the streets, but many Caffans are not about to lay their proverbial weapons down.

Despite what many would tell you, this city is fairly split on the issue of whether secession is truly in their best interests or not. In fact, many believe that there is absolutely no way Caffa will last if it leaves the steady -- albeit, sometimes crushing -- embrace of its mother Empire. I sat down with Maria Lorenza Delvecchio, a grandmother of five and whose son is a dockworker at Caffa's sprawling harbor, and asked for her thoughts on the matter.

"I do not see any way my family or I will benefit from leaving the Empire. I do not like the politicians in Fulfwotz, and the Emperor may not be my favorite person, but I have lived through both Caffan secessions... I was born in an independent Caffa... and I have lived under General Vacarelli's regime. I have seen what this city does to itself when left on its own, and that is not what I want for my son, my daughter-in=law, or any of my grandchildren.

"Who will trade with us after? My son may lose his job, I am too old to work, and my daughter-in-law must spend her day caring for their children. I love this city... but it has too much pride. It will destroy itself."

Following my interview with Maria, I stepped outside into the Caffan sun and was greeted by a massive demonstration in la Piazza dei Tre Santi, where young, passionate supporters of the referendum chanted La Libertà with Caffan flags worn around their necks. They were eager to give me their side of the story. Mario di Sabina, whose father was taken into custody by the Imperial government for a crime he allegedly didn't commit, claims that because of the Empire's negligence, his mother had to work three jobs and his family almost starved. Nadina Innocenti loudly proclaimed that Caffans had escaped from Sammichian domination before (a reference to ancient slaves from the central Italic tribes fleeing Xamichine control and establishing Caffa), and that they will do so again.

Whatever the case may be, one thing is clear; a very large group of people is about to be made very unhappy. We just don't know which one.

~SGN Online, helping you act like you care~

COMMENTS
Grud Bulg, Potatovale- POTATOVALE WILL RISE AGAIN

Elena Black, Bloodmist- news has been dull lately. let them secede!

Erik Hansverg, Rigel- Fulflet Union was a coverup by Imperial Jews to steal Laurelii gold #SpreadTheWord #Lol #OOTD #picoftheday #catsofinstagram #cat #dog #dogsofinstagram #cute #funny #haha

Pierre Ralphio, Salazen-Grum- does anyone want to join my sammintologist youth group

TRENDING NOW
Fulfwotz Museum of Modern Art Unveils Powerful Trapezoid Exhibit

Acadie Judge Accidentally Sentences Self To Death, Refuses To Overrule Verdict

Recent Study Suggests People Generally Disapprove Of Rape

Massive Pedestrian Pileup On Oranjestad's Lower Tiers

Comments