Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

BREAKING: Emperor Sammus Under Investigation For Illicit Campaign Donations

FULFWOTZ- Minister of Justice Silas DeSilva has ordered for a temporary suspension of power for Emperor Sammus while he is under investigation for potentially funding various FMP (Free Monarchy Party) candidates across the New Sammichian Empire.

The injunction comes after an anonymous whistleblower in the Offices of the Emperor alerted authorities yesterday to large checks being routed through Philanthropa Imperatia, the Emperor's charity organization, to numerous Free Monarchy Party candidates in the upcoming biennial Assembly election.

According to the anonymous whistleblower, the checks were often as high as $2 million, depending on the size and relative importance of the provinces they were being sent to. The checks were written on behalf of Philanthropa Imperatia, presumably because charitable organizations are not required by law to disclose transactions to the Ministry of Finance. The funds were then sent to the First Imperial Alliance, a group which helps support and finance upstart candidates from any party across the Empire. The FIA is, however, compelled to report political monetary transactions to the Finance Ministry, and the vast majority of these transactions have been sent to FMP campaigns.

As of right now, it is unclear how long this may have been occurring.

While it is legal in the Empire for any individual, organization, or other group to donate unlimited amounts of money directly to candidates and their campaigns, it is quite illegal for the Head of State to do so himself. The Emperor, who is supposed to be absolutely neutral (at least publicly), is not allowed to endorse or lend support to any specific candidate or party. The act is expressly prohibited by the Chancelleric Constitution.

Emperor Sammus has been temporarily stripped of his power and confined to Castle Mugg as the investigation continues. The Office of the Emperor released a statement this afternoon affirming his innocence:

"...His Imperial Majesty the Emperor has been an integral part of the Imperial government and the Empire as a whole for decades; his loyalty to the state and respect for its sacred democratic institutions is unmatched. He would not dare violate the Chancelleric Constitution as he was there when it was rewritten in the aftermath of the Great War, and he likely has a closer connection to it than any person living today. The First Imperial Alliance is an important organization dedicated to nurturing political participation across the Empire, and Philanthropa Imperatia is an equally-as-important charity supporting a plethora of causes across the Shire. His Majesty would not dare exploit these institutions for his own personal gain nor for that of others. Confident in his inculpability, we will cooperate with authorities to the fullest extent that we can and see this investigation through."

Where do we go from here? Analysis by Kalique Kapoor

As anyone familiar with Imperial politics would tell you, it was only a matter of time. Anyone as secretive as Emperor Sammus must have a few skeletons in their closet, and it seems like we might've just opened that closet door. The New Sammichian Empire has the highest rates of corruption in the developed world, and it has once again reared its ugly head in the highest echelons of the Imperial government.

The question is, assuming the Emperor is found guilty of Imperial electoral intrigue, what does the future hold for the New Sammichian Empire, and how will this resonate with the rest of the Shire?

Fortunately for the Emperor, he is protected by law from imprisonment -- but the same cannot be said for fines or impeachment. It is highly likely that he'll face an enormous fine (mind you that former High Chancellor Kiera C. Krugerrand faced a $20,000,000 fine after committing electoral fraud), and the NSE is infamous for its so-called "fine gouging" by maliciously instituting extremely high fines on individuals and corporations regardless of their ability to actually pay them. The presiding court may settle solely on a fine, but if it deems it necessary, Emperor Sammus may be forced to resign from his office, the first time in history that the monarch of a Sammichian dominion has been forced to step down through a legal proceeding.

There are both plenty of upsides and plenty of downsides in doing so.

The upsides? The key phrase is "new blood". It's no secret that the Chancellery has been yearning for someone new -- and likely less difficult -- to assume one of the country's highest offices for decades now; after all, he's been in power for an astonishing 115 years. While he has adapted better to the times than anyone expected him to, many still view Emperor Sammus as a remnant of the conservative, imperialist geopolitical landscape of the prewar Shire. His oftentimes-aggressive consolidations of power have legendarily clashed with the Chancellery, and by unseating Emperor Sammus the Chancellery may elect another Emperor that is far more friendly to the institution.

The downsides? The Emperor, despite how Shirefolk may feel about him, has been a constant and reliable presence in the Shire since he ascended to the throne in 1903, and his various experimental medical procedures and augmentations to prolong his lifespan have shown us that he's in it for the long haul. By removing someone such as himself, the economic trust placed in the New Sammichian Empire will be called into question and may have a resounding impact in global markets. It would also be an enormous blow to the national identity of the NSE, the very nation Emperor Sammus single-handedly brought into existence. With his approval rating sitting at a lofty 62%, not to mention the borderline personality cult he enjoys both in the Empire and abroad, removing him from office would not sit well with a substantial number of people. It may also spark a constitutional crisis; while the Chancellery can technically elect a new Emperor, the Ich Dynasty is an immense family boasting thousands of members of increasingly-tenuous relation. The next in the line of succession is the Lady Culpa vos Hatrinidae III, distantly related to the Emperor through his great-great grandmother, Queen Vespania. In passing her over, herself the head of one of the Empire's seven noble families, the Chancellery may bring upon itself the ire of the country's ruling elite.

It would seem that only time will tell us the fate of Emperor Sammus, and just how intertwined it is with that of the New Sammichian Empire.

Kalique Kapoor is a leading political analyst and Imperial correspondent at SGN.
COMMENTS
Maria Outeiras, Oranjestad- emperor is now free agent , plz come to Brasil

Ivaro Visacutrus, Pinecone Village-In response to: Maria Outeiras what the fuck is brasil

Neritha Tasaani, Laurelian- oh how delicious

Gerald Lusk, Shadynasty- big if true 😂
TRENDING NOW
Stampede At Riverwood Convenience Store Kills 13 After Cigarettes Airlifted Into City By Laurelii

The Forgotten Students Of The NSE: Verdenesian Schools Still Adhering To Prewar Educational Curriculums

Pescatarian Pride Parade In Laurelian Sees Record Attendance

"Doomsday Clock" Set Back One Hour For First Time Since Fall Of Fulflet Union
Wuggeh0Judge_Dreddpool

Comments

• Antheus
    Antheus Arbiter, Engineer, Wiki Editor
    Emperor Sammus has been one of the few constants in the ever changing shire. I hope they choose not to press charges or anything. I mean can’t he create some tragic accidents that happen to the people who are investigating him? I mean this is the NSE after all
  • Press Secretary to the Kinthiira, Noviem Ildies:
    The Kinthiira would like to offer their support and, as always..... as. always, constantly, seemingly without respit, we offer safe refuge and support to any innocent NSE citizens who may suffer from the fallout of this distressing, yet completely unsurprising, news.

The Kinthiira plan to open a pre-emptive investigation into whether or not any channels at the Bank of Laurelian were used to aid in this messy, embarrassing scheme.

We'd also like to clear up that while Miss Neritha Taasani was properly quoted, her comment was not about this scandal. She was commenting on the food at this year's Pescatarian Pride Parade at Laurelian.
  • > @Antheus said:
    > Emperor Sammus has been one of the few constants in the ever changing shire. I hope they choose not to press charges or anything. I mean can’t he create some tragic accidents that happen to the people who are investigating him? I mean this is the NSE after all

Stop. Just stop. Y'all can't even handle having cigarettes. Don't go offering political advice to anyone.
  • Antheus
    > @Hay said:
    > > @Antheus said:
    > > Emperor Sammus has been one of the few constants in the ever changing shire. I hope they choose not to press charges or anything. I mean can’t he create some tragic accidents that happen to the people who are investigating him? I mean this is the NSE after all
    >
    > Stop. Just stop. Y'all can't even handle having cigarettes. Don't go offering political advice to anyone.

At least we don’t curb stomp dogs like you disgusting laurelians >:(
    I can’t believe such a powerful nation would allow such a thing
  • > @Antheus said:

> At least we don’t curb stomp dogs like you disgusting laurelians >:(
    > I can’t believe such a powerful nation would allow such a thing

So we're just gonna completely disregard that it was actually two drunk Riverwoodians dressed as dogs for Halloween 12 days before Halloween who also attacked an elderly Riverwoodian lady because, and I quote, "She smelled like milkbones."
  • Antheus
    > @Hay said:
    > > @Antheus said:
    >
    > > At least we don’t curb stomp dogs like you disgusting laurelians >:(
    > > I can’t believe such a powerful nation would allow such a thing
    >
    >
    > So we're just gonna completely disregard that it was actually two drunk Riverwoodians dressed as dogs for Halloween 12 days before Halloween who also attacked an elderly Riverwoodian lady because, and I quote, "She smelled like milkbones."
    >

you’re FAKE NEWS
  • n75brlgo36ws.jpg

STOP FIGHTING
    CoffeeAndChillJudge_DreddpoolWuggeh0
  • Hay
    Hay Lord
    edited November 2018
    So when Emperor Sammus' assets get seized, can they dig through there for a jewel-encrusted diadem that went missing from Laurelian the last time he was there?