Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Central Mall Volunteer

Options
Catmanoct
Catmanoct Member
edited December 2013 in Gameplay
Hiya all,

I have an idea I've been turning over for a while, and after talking with Ben, I figured I'd share. With the Quarry being only for Tyro or lower, I've been using /netherstore, /plaza, /lamename, and /venice to round out my mats.  Lots of jumping around, with a few overlapping mats in places, just to gather parts (for the unfarmable/craftable items.  

I'd like to volunteer to create a Yeoman+ centralized mall for all materials.  I have the real estate at my snow canyon city of Cliffhaven, and I could easily whip up something aethetically pleasing and functional.  Not sure if this is doable, as I'm not familiar with the [Free] sign mechanics, and how you keep the chests fully stocked in the other locations listed above.  If you are all keen to the idea, I would be happy to start on that project immediately.

Thoughts? 

Comments

• Morris_h
    Morris_h Member, Wiki Editor
    edited December 2013
    Options
    There is a mall located in the mainland  (/warp mall), though unfortunately the mall is only available to Mavens+. Though it seems like, with the mall slowly being obsolete with the inclusion of lots of new blocks and the addition of [free] signs being available at Yeoman-accessible regions, it becomes more apparent that the mall is becoming obsolete. I'm not sure if any policies are changed in regards to Mavens and malls, however.

Edit: oh, I forgot to add that, access to /warp mall is one of the only few notable benefits that are left for mavens, so changing that part would probably be a bit tough. there might be some changes to it soon because I believe it's quite illogical not to, since yeomen technically have access to more signs than mavens do in the mall, but don't take my word for it.

Sent from my MacBook Pro. 
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    edited December 2013
    Options
    We won't be adding major free item areas for ranks below Maven, as free items/creative mode is an incentive for members to get Duke status - which helps to keep the server running.

The signs in Venice and some of the signs in the Plaza are a relatively new addition. If you require any awkward to find items, feel free to ask a staff member - who may help you out.

If you have a small quantity of materials (no more than 4) that you want to make a shop for in your area, that's fine - ask a Lord to make the signs for you (provided it's not TNT or some other questionnable material!).

[code]Morris: yeomen technically have access to more signs than mavens do in the mall, but don't take my word for it.[/code]
    What? 
    Post edited by CoffeeAndChill on
  • setho123
    Options
    Why is quarry tyro only?

• CoffeeAndChill
    Options
    The quarry is restricted because you have an entire world to explore and many [Free] item signs at your disposal, you're also allowed to ask staff members to give you items.

The Quarry is for Tyros only because the Tyro area is very limited in terms of resources and they do not have the access to free materials that anyone above that rank does. 
  • Catmanoct
    Options
    "The quarry is restricted because you have an entire world to explore"
    This totally makes sense, I think it's a solid and reasonable rule :)

and many [Free] item signs at your disposal
    And there extremely helpful, thank you! 

you're also allowed to ask staff members to give you items.
    There's been a few things that I've asked for where it turns out there was some out of the way [Free] sign I didn't know existed.  Or someone will say, "hey, go to /x and it's there."  I just would prefer not to bother the staff if I can be self-sufficient :)

Again, no worries;  I dig all these reasons completely.  I just thought it'd be fun and helpful to make a consolidated area for everyone to use where they can self-serve mats, rather than needing to hop all over the place.

Cheers!
  • nebbers
    Options
    A fun project for a yeoman could be to find all the available [free] signs and then build a Yeoman Guild Hall somewhere to post where to find everything...  just an idea!
  • Catmanoct
    Options
    @Nebbers: now that's a great idea! I'll start that!
  • CoffeeAndChill
    Options
    @Catmanoct
    You could make a forum post about it, would probably be easier to maintain