Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Addressing the Growing Crisis in Fulfwotz

Options

[The following is a excerpt of a speech delivered by Lord Nebbers to the members of the Council for Shire Prosperity during an emergency meeting, May 17 2015]

This evening I came here to speak to you about the Fulfwotz. I do not have to tell you that our people are profoundly concerned about that struggle.
There are passionate convictions about the wisest course for our Nation to follow. There are many sincere and patriotic Oranjestadians who harbor doubts about our decision to mobilize and support Emperor Sammich in retaking Fulfwotz.
Doubt and debate are enlarged because the problems of Fulfwotz are quite complex. They are a mixture of political turmoil—of poverty—of religious and factional strife—of ancient servitude and modern longing for freedom. Fulfwotz is all of these things.
Fulfwotz is also the scene of a powerful aggression that is spurred by an appetite for conquest.
It is the arena where Communist expansionism is most aggressively at work in the world today—where it is crossing international frontiers in violation of international agreements; where it is killing and kidnaping; where it is ruthlessly attempting to bend free people to its will.
Into this mixture of subversion and war, of terror and hope, Oranjestad has entered—with its material power and with its moral commitment. Why?
We cherish freedom—yes. We cherish self-determination for all people—yes. We abhor the political murder of any state by another, and the bodily murder of any people by gangsters of whatever ideology. And for nearly 5 years—since the early days of the Shire—we have sought to strengthen free people against domination by aggressive foreign powers.
I cannot tell you tonight as your Leader-with certainty—that a Communist conquest of Fulfwotz would be followed by a Communist conquest of all of the Demmatrodine or surrounding lands. But I do know there are Fulflet troops in Zaphoria. I do know that there are Fulflet trained guerrillas tonight in northeast Sravasti. I do know that there are Communist-supported guerrilla forces operating on MooShoo Island. And a Communist coup was barely averted in Ebethron, one of the largest cities in the world.
So your President cannot tell you—with certainty—that a Demmatrodine dominated by Communist .power would bring a third world war much closer to terrible reality. One could hope that this would not be so.
But all that we have learned in this tragic century strongly suggests to me that it would be so. As President of the Oranje Republic, I am not prepared to gamble on the chance that it is not so. I am not prepared to risk the security—indeed, the survival—of this Oranje Nation on mere hope and wishful thinking. I am convinced that by seeing this struggle through now, we are greatly reducing the chances of a much larger war—perhaps a nuclear war. I would rather stand in Fulfwotz, in our time, and by meeting this danger now, and facing up to it, thereby reduce the danger for our children and for our grandchildren.
Our goal has been the same—in Clementine, in Postremo, in the Oldeshire. It has been—and it is now—peace.
And peace cannot be secured by wishes; peace cannot be preserved by noble words and pure intentions. "Enduring peace," Franklin D. Oranjevelt said, "cannot be bought at the cost of other people's freedom."
The true peace-keepers in the world tonight are not those who urge us to abandon Fulfwotz—who tell us to try to find the quickest, cheapest exit from that tormented land, no matter what the consequences to us may be.
The true peace-keepers are those men who stand out there on the DMZ at this very hour, taking the worst that the enemy can give. The true peace-keepers are the soldiers who are breaking the terrorist's grip around the villages of the Sammichian Empire—the civilians who are bringing medical care and food and education to people who have already suffered a generation of war.
Let the world know that the keepers of peace will endure through every trial—and that with the full backing of their countrymen, they are going to prevail.

Comments