Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

IMPORTANT: Minecraft related shenanegans

Lord_Drekar
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
I don't know how many of you check the minecraft update notes/news but apparently a big security flaw was made public last night (for various other things as well, but minecraft has been affected by it)? It's strongly advised for you to change your passwords. Figured I'd bring it to all of your attention since I don't know how many of you are aware of it. 
Post edited by CoffeeAndChill on

Comments

• 0031benjy
    0031benjy Confirm Email, Retired Staff
    Cheers for the heads up!
  • also, to add to what drekar said, the server is running the old version and I can't connect to it.
  • So when can we connect to it?

• just change your version where you log into minecraft. the server is running 1.7.2, so switch to that, and it'll work. it's what I did
  • if you open the game, there's an edit profile button I believe - click that, and it should say somewhere "use latest version". click on that, and a drop down menu appears, and select the version the shire is using (1.7.2) and then hit done and click play. should work 
  • Well, how soon can they update it?
  • As soon as Bukkit is updated, I presume.
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    Switch to a 1.7.2 profile (see Drekar's instructions)

We're not updating the server yet. 
  • Mieshoa
    Mieshoa Member, Wiki Editor, Retired Staff
    Apperently there was a flaw with two thirds of the internet so, it may be a hassle, but it is reccommended you change your password on as many social networking sites and other sites with profiles e.g. Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Twitter, Google, Youtube, etc.
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    It's a load of overhyped nonsense that the media have latched on to; it's incredibly unlikely that your data has been compromised. 

From your list above:
    You don't need to change passwords for Amazon, eBay, 
    You should change passwords on Twitter, Faceook, Google

http://m.xkcd.com/1354/ 

Check here for more info on what's been affected and what's not: http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/