Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Connecting W-Shire with Mainland

tij62
tij62 Member
edited August 2018 in Gameplay
Wuggeh and me noticed that there were no railway connections directly from West Shire to the Mainland, and if there are some, you need to change to a diffrent line. So we came up with an brilliant idea, that will change West Shire from its current situation.

The line will have 11 stops, with approx. 5 stops for changing lines.
On the railway map, the line will be highlighted with the color brown.

Stops will most likely be: Groenevelden > Little Wangleton > Phobon > Amica > Ivory Beach > Taynia > Arcadia > Karaam > Whitevale > Tyro > Equos

If anything should be changed, feel free to write it down.
Post edited by tij62 on
CoffeeAndChill

Comments

• John117
    John117 Member, Engineer, Wiki Editor
    What if the line went straight from Vadam to Groenevelden so that it skipped an unnecessary 4 stations and backtracking north but still had connection to Paarsdam through the WSR line from Groenevelden?

Alternatively, it could start and go from Zege directly east to Arcadia and then to Karaam and avoid too much overlap with the West Shire Rail system.

Not saying these ideas should replace that rail outline, but they might be more efficient in terms of routes directly to Mainland.
  • Wuggeh0
    Wuggeh0 Member, Wiki Editor
    I agree with Chef. I think the less stops the easier it will be to make and maintain, as well as less overlap between existing lines. I still propose it as:

Groenevelden > Little Wangleton > Phobon > Amica > Ivory Beach > Taynia > Arcadia > Karaam > Whitevale > Tyro > Equos

That way it hits all the lines it needs as connections to the rest of mainland, while operating as a sort of express route into the west with only 10 stops total.

To streamline it even further, I would make the Western half:

Groenevelden > South Paarsdam > Paarsdam > Birkenbos (A station still needing connection) > Arcadia... and onwards.

But I know you probably would like Phobon connected to it as well. The best we can do is make sure that the line is relatively easy to build, easy to maintain, streamlined, and doesn't overlap existing networks too much.
  • tij62
    tij62 Member
    edited August 2018
    Since it would be dumb to have a branchline just for two stops, id suggest the first one. I was kinda concerned about so many stops overlaping each other, but that was the only solution i could found. I guess we could use that plan, since, like you said, it would be a lot easier to build and maintain. Vadam could then be added to the Juris line.
  • CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    edited August 2018
    Hey, please will someone take a screenshot of the relevant area at

https://shirecraft.us/dynamp

Maybe fade it out a bit

And draw the proposals on top of it with labels? Make sure to highlight any interchanges/junctions clearly

I’ll check it out when I’m back home

Thanks
  • > @CoffeeAndChill said:
    > Hey, please will someone take a screenshot of the relevant area at
    >
    > https://shirecraft.us/dynamp
    >
    > Maybe fade it out a bit
    >
    > And draw the proposals on top of it with labels? Make sure to highlight any interchanges/junctions clearly
    >
    > I’ll check it out when I’m back home
    >
    > Thanks

No prob, ill try it to do it on my phone
  • CoffeeAndChill
    edited August 2018
    Thank you

Also we'll need a different name; there is already a line starting with 'I' — I prefer each to have a unique starting letter.

Priska/Ophion are old line names that can be reused

I'm somewhat tempted to make it an extension of the Aether line, so we'd ditch 'Ignis line' for the final stretch that already exists and it'll all be the Aether line.

So the final route would be
    * Venezia Valeria (Change for Venezia Overground and Venezia Metro)
    * Bork (Change for Juris line)
    * Belthil Tower (Change for Thule line)
    * Central (Change for Quintus/Lamia/Hestia)
    * Αrena Ruins
    * Equos County (Change for Dulcia line)
    * Tyro (Change for Thule line)
    * Whitevale (Change for Cerelia line)
    * Karaam (Change for Juris line)
    * Arcadia (Change for Cerelia line and West Shire Rail)
    * Taynia (Change for West Shire Rail) — Not sure if we need this stop? I'd like to take it out.
    * Ivory Beach (Change for West Shire Rail services)
    * Amica
    * Phobon (Change for West Shire Rail services)
    * Little Wangleton
    * Groenevelden (Change for Groenevelden Metro/Republic Railways)
    Post edited by CoffeeAndChill on
  • tij62
    tij62 Member
    edited August 2018
    Ophion sounds good, but Lotus is a great name too, i think?
    Post edited by tij62 on
  • tij62
    tij62 Member
    edited August 2018
    @CoffeeAndChill So for the new part,of the Aether line, things are marked like this:

(>gray: New course of the WSR)
    (>yellow: New stop)
    >brown: course of the new part
    >blue: interchanges
    >green: junctions
    > white: rail section will be deactivated after the completion of the new part

If you want to leave Taynia out, thats ok, i guess.
    Post edited by tij62 on
  • Wuggeh0
    edited August 2018
    Hey, I don't want Birkenbos on WSR. I'd rather it stay on Republic Railways. That way I don't have to rebuild or remove the Paarsdam-Vadam route I built.

And I think that route plan sounds totally great, Andy. And thanks for making the map, Tijo!
  • > @Wuggeh0 said:
    > Hey, I don't want Birkenbos on WSR. I'd rather it stay on Republic Railways. That way I don't have to rebuild or remove the Paarsdam-Vadam route I built.
    >
    > And I think that route plan sounds totally great, Andy. And thanks for making the map, Tijo!

Ok then! And thanks, ive gave my best to it!
  • CoffeeAndChill
    edited August 2018
    tij62 wrote: »
    white: rail section will be deactivated after the completion

No plans to remove existing railways at the moment. the removal of the section you've highlighted would break a major route.

I have added an extra platform to Equos station to allow the Aether line to continue through, and I've configured junctions so Aether line trains can now get to the Tyro area via an old tunnel (but not to a station yet!)
    Post edited by CoffeeAndChill on
  • > @CoffeeAndChill said:
    > tij62 wrote: »
    >
    > white: rail section will be deactivated after the completion
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No plans to remove existing railways at the moment. the removal of the section you've highlighted would break a major route.
    >
    > I have added an extra platform to Equos station to allow the Aether line to continue through, and I've configured junctions so Aether line trains can now get to the Tyro area via an old tunnel (but not to a station yet!)

Well, since you said it was going to be an extension of the Aether line, that thing would be scratched out. And its great that we will have a connection between Tyro and Equos soon! Can't wait to see it!
  • CoffeeAndChill
    > @CoffeeAndChill said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No plans to remove existing railways at the moment. the removal of the section you've highlighted would break a major route.
    >
    > I have added an extra platform to Equos station to allow the Aether line to continue through, and I've configured junctions so Aether line trains can now get to the Tyro area via an old tunnel (but not to a station yet!)

Well, since you said it was going to be an extension of the Aether line, that thing would be scratched out. And its great that we will have a connection between Tyro and Equos soon! Can't wait to see it!

Tyro station upgrade is nearly complete - check it out if you'd like to! (you might need to follow the tracks into the station then fly up over the barriers)

Won't have time to finish it for at least a week
  • tij62
    tij62 Member
    edited August 2018
    > @CoffeeAndChill said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Tyro station upgrade is nearly complete - check it out if you'd like to! (you might need to follow the tracks into the station then fly up over the barriers)

Won't have time to finish it for at least a week

Thats ok, we all have a life outside the Shire. Ill check it out later!
  • CoffeeAndChill
    I've completed alterations to Tyro and Equos County stations

Finished the track between Equos and Tyro

Added the new section of track to the journey planner — https://shirecraft.us/rail/#/source=DMO/sink=TYR
  • tij62
    tij62 Member
    edited August 2018
    Nice! If you need help with something, be sure to tell me, ill see what i can do! :)
  • Wuggeh0
    Same here. You know I'm always on call to build extensions
  • CoffeeAndChill
    > @Wuggeh0 said:
    > Same here. You know I'm always on call to build extensions

Tyro to whitevale... go! ;)
  • @CoffeeAndChill How's the progress?
  • CoffeeAndChill
    @CoffeeAndChill How's the progress?

Been very busy with work so haven't done anything else recently
  • That's ok, in the meantime ill just build more buildings.
    CoffeeAndChill
  • CoffeeAndChill
    I've added the Aether line extension to the map,

https://wiki.shirecraft.us/index.php?title=File:Shire_Railway_Map_2018.png
    (also revised the Empire line route to accommodate Naoki getting up and walking down south)
  • CoffeeAndChill
    Done most of the junctions between Amica and Arcadia, including 2 new platforms and a new station entrance at Ivory Beach, a bypass for Activia and Taynia stations for the Aether line, bypass at Dawnguard, and tunnels leading down to the lower level at Arcadia for the Aether line merged with WSR to split, and merge with the Cerelia line and head towards Karaam.

Need to...
    • upgrade Amica station to have more than 1 platform...
    • Do the routing/junction configuration between Arcadia and Karaam for the Aether line
    • Upgrade Karaam station with 2 new Aether line platforms
    • Connect Karaam to Whitevale
    • Add a bypass at Shroomtown station for the Aether line
    • Upgrade Whitevale station with 2 new Aether line platforms
    • Connect Whitevale to Tyro.
  • Ok, ill try to get on Sunday, so i can see the improvements. Maybe build some more buildings, who knows?
  • CoffeeAndChill
    edited September 2018
    Need to...
    • upgrade Amica station to have more than 1 platform...
    • Do the routing/junction configuration between Arcadia and Karaam for the Aether line
    • Upgrade Karaam station with 2 new Aether line platforms
    • Connect Karaam to Whitevale
    • Add a bypass at Shroomtown station for the Aether line
    • Upgrade Whitevale station with 2 new Aether line platforms
    • Connect Whitevale to Tyro.

All done up to Ivory Beach (from Venice) now! I haven't decorated all of the tunnels.
  • CoffeeAndChill
    upgrade Amica station to have more than 1 platform...

That's done! All that's left is to connect Amica to Ivory Beach, and create a new junction near Amica. It'll use the tunnel that goes from Avignon to Phobon (goes near to Ivory Beach station).
  • Yay! I'll help if you want, im done with the three new buildings anyways.
  • CoffeeAndChill
    Yay! I'll help if you want, im done with the three new buildings anyways.

The tracks out of Amica have been started, they need to continue going in the same direction, then turn to the left and go up 10 levels towards the mountain. I'll be able to do this a few days from now, unless you want to help out a bit? See if you can work out where the tunnel is in the mountain/hill (follow it out of Phobon station lower level platforms)
  • CoffeeAndChill
    Done.

"Travelled from Groenevelden to Venezia Valeria in 17 minutes and 25 seconds."
    Wuggeh0
  • *claps* Thank you! Ill make sure ill repay you somehow, maybe by giving you a plot in my city where you can build something, or what about naming a street after you? :D
    BorisCrafter