Clouds Clouds Airship Belthil Tower Nether Temple
📚 Learn more about The Shire's history on our Timeline. 🕰

Server Seats & More

Dear Admin & Fellow Shire Folk,

I know that I've been a squeaky wheel about this topic, we really should look at increasing the server size, even more. I know and I imagine all other Shire citizens and promising hopefuls would agree and know there is cost associated and would rise up to the occasion (myself included). The kiss from Reddit (which I am a part of) is many things, great and challenging but I see that you've had 1.8k views on the Reddit Welcome post. That's telling me there is a lot of traffic but a lot of hopefuls and some veterans of the server who can't even get on as well. As I am writing this, I've probably refreshed the server a hundred times or so with no luck. But as a new, but excited Shire citizen, I'm not turned away by this just, an observation and opinion. Otherwise, this is the greatest server, ever, in my personal opinion.

If you are reading this, and you love this server, consider donating, here's the link to Paypal http://bit.ly/1BUnIPm and the post about donating to the server https://shirecraft.us/forum/discussion/16/the-server-needs-you-to-donate-please/p1. If you plan on being long term, for now, consider this your new coffee budget or something and give monthly.

FYI, I am not an admin, and really new to the server (4 days now) and am writing this because I love this sever and the people who run it.

-GracetoYou

Comments

• CoffeeAndChill
    CoffeeAndChill Lord, Arbiter, Engineer
    edited June 2016
    We just upgraded our server to have 64GB of RAM. I'll work on optimising performance tomorrow.
  • We appreciate your patience, Grace. We'll get this figured out soon - we already upped it from 32 to 40 and we quadrupled our RAM.  We'll see about expanding the slots even more.
  • Hay
    Hay Lord
    edited June 2016
    Just my personal opinion - I think people who have come to The Shire over the past few days have maybe forgotten the actual reason they did and what comes with that.
    You read about a server that beat the odds and has not only been around for 5+ strong years but has built a community so dedicated and so tight-knit that we've been able to create art together that garnered the attention of literally tens of thousands of people across the globe over the course of just a few days.

Part of what has made that possible is the culture of our server, the character of our members and the most importantly, the environment that we create for our members. Part of that environment is that we are not a server that has random hundreds of people on at once. We are able to follow chat and have fun conversations and make real friendships because our environment allows for us to develop those kinds of relationships. 
    We've been able to build these massive cities and monuments because we've had the peace and comfort to do so without a single worry as to if we'll log on the next morning and some random person's rogue voxel ball has destroyed it or someone's WE mishap has crashed the server and rolled back everyone work - because dozens of people have WE and VS. Yes, things happen but those kinds of things happen so few and far between that it isn't a worry.
    We have created an environment where members build happily and freely and without being judged by other members. We help each other to grow in our skill level and push each other to reach our artistic potential. We share art together. We know each other. We've helped each other through more than just builder's block or a design gone wrong.
    Again. We're able to do this because we are not one of those servers that has so many people on all the time that it has the opposite effect and causes the feeling of isolation. I've been to those "popular" servers. And I'm sure you've all been to them before, too. It's not fun and it doesn't promote happy building or the freedom to grow and make mistakes. 

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I'm gonna ask everyone who is suggesting that The Shire change its ways after 5 years of successful community building if they're really taking The Shire into consideration or not just wanting to implement what they're used to from the dead or dying servers they've come from.  You're all here for a reason and I'd really hope that part of it is because you can appreciate how we're different and how that difference has made us great and can continue to keep us great.
    foltzEnderKillaCoffeeAndChillLord_DrekarMorris_hArcticstarJohn117
  • foltz
    foltz Member
    Three cheers to that Hay. A very valid and why I'm here reasoning you have. :)
  • CoffeeAndChill
    All I plan to do is make the server run more smoothly with 40 slots. Not to increase the number of player slots available. I completely agree with Hay.
    Liandria21
  • CoffeeAndChill
    Update: Server now runs fine at full capacity.
    Liandria21